Monday, March 15, 2010

Spanish for Preschoolers



Since my daughter began talking I've been working on teaching her Spanish.  (Actually the truth is that I have been talking to her in Spanish since she was born just as I would in English)

I taught high school Spanish for 8 years so Spanish for preschoolers was a whole new ball game for me. One of the things I've done is ask her several questions in Spanish and taught her how to respond.


These are some of the ones I use consistently with her and she can reply with ease to each of them.  (She is 3 and a half now.)

¿Cómo te llamas?
¿Cómo estás?
¿Cuántos años tienes?
¿Dónde vives?
¿Cómo se llama tu hermano?
¿Cuántos años tiene tu hermano?
¿Dónde está tu nariz? (or any other body part)


 I ask her these quite often: in the car, bathroom, store, whenever we're waiting.

Now I ask her them one right after the other.  When I was first teaching her I would ask her the question and then tell her what to answer. For example I would ask her "¿Cuántos años tienes?" and tell her to say "tres años" and later I progressed to having her say "Tengo tres años."

How do you teach Spanish to preschoolers?

No comments: