Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, August 27, 2010

Spanish Alphabet (Alfabeto)



One of the first things a Spanish teacher will do is teach the Spanish alphabet.  One of the important reasons behind this is that it helps teach pronunciation. There are many ways to make teaching the alphabet in Spanish interesting and fun for your students.

The obvious beginning is to simply show the alphabet and how it is pronounced in Spanish.  Provide them with the phonetic spelling but remind them that this is just how you say the letters.  (I have had the occasional student think that the letter "A" in Spanish is actually spelled "AH.")

Once your students are familiar with the Spanish alphabet they can then start to "play" (practice) with it.

I have them get with their partner and spell 3 different classmate's names.They don't tell their partner who.  The partner has to write down the letters that they say.  Then they switch roles.

I also do something similar as a whole class.  I'll choose 5-10 words for the students to write down as I spell them.  I like to choose words that the students are learning, or that are funny or interesting. Sometimes I'll spell a celebrity or teacher's last name.

Another thing I like to do in the beginning is practice the vowels as a whole class. I have them on the overhead and point to them a-e-i-o-u.  I'll have them say them several times going faster and faster.  Then backwards u-o-i-e-a the same way.  Finally I'll point to them out of order for a while and then get them to end up saying u-i-u-a-a like this song:




Spanish playground had a great link for playing a game online to learn the alphabet sounds in Spanish.
Just go here.

Please add in the comment section what you do to teach the Spanish alphabet. Let's see how many ideas we can come up with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have something I call an Alphabet relay. I have each kid in the class hold one letter and then say their letter outloud. We go through the whole alphabet, one letter at a time and time ourselves. After we make it through we do a quick shuffle and then repeat.